About Us In March 1895, six ladies met to form a society for mutual improvement, the Women's Literary Club, later to be known as the Ellington Women's Club. Originally, meetings were held fortnightly Monday afternoon in members' homes. Membership was limited to twenty women until 1944 when it was opened to all women in town.
As the Club grew, programs encompassed many timely topics of interest to women,such as defense, community and world affairs, government, and home improvement.
In its 120 years in the community, the Club has participated in many civic projects which improved the town. As Ellington worked to build schools and the library and to improve opportunities for its youth, the support of the Ellington Women's Club was keenly felt.
The Club continues to contribute financially to many charitable and community organizations, including: Ellington Fuel Bank, Hugh O'Brian Youth Organization (HOBY), Laurel Girl's State, Ellington High School Scholarship, Ellington High School Substance-free Graduation, Tri-Town Shelter, Hall Memorial Library. Since 1961, members have planted and maintained the flower beds of the War Memorials. We are very proud of our history and strive to maintain the productive work and support we have fostered in our town and we continue to be a dynamic force in Ellington!
Affiliation The Ellington Women's Club is affiliated with the International General Federation of Women's Clubs, the largest organization of volunteer women in the world. The General Federation of Women's Club (GFWC) has a very interesting and informative website. Please access it by clicking here: GFWC. Also, there is a site specific to each state and you may access our very own Connecticut site at GFWC/CT.